Bellcote - Little Langford Church« Back
The bellcote was rebuilt in 1965 and 1988, a repair cycle continuing with visible deterioration noted in the 2010 Quinquennial Inspection. Subsequent detailed examination confirmed timber decay in elements of the painted softwood timber frame and perforated lead clad timber bearers at the base of the structure. The bellcote was fixed to an in-situ concrete capping above the chancel arch; removal of the cast concrete could have an adverse impact on the masonry below, resulting in the decision to incorporate the existing detail.
The limited significance of the existing bellcote did not warrant conservation and repair. Replacement therefore, became the basis for the proposals, with selection of traditional materials (oak framing and cedar shingles) more sympathetic to the church building and incorporation of the existing stone corbels for support. The design intent loosely followed the existing rectangular form of the bellcote, with a more proportionate design to the same overall height, reinstating the cockerel onto the apex. The louvred enclosure provides protection for the bell cast in 1671. Since completion, the oak elements have started to weather and assume a silvery appearance sympathetic to the fabric of the church.